Connect with us

DIASPORA NEWS

Eight dead after two shootings at shisha bars in German state of Hesse

Published

on

Several people have been killed and injured during two attacks on shisha bars in the city of Hanau, Hesse, according to police.

In a statement local police said at least eight people died and several were injured in the shooting incidents in the city of Hanau, around 20 km east of Frankfurt on Wednesday night.

 An unknown number of attackers were still at large, added police, who have launched a major manhunt.

The shootings took place at two shisha bars in different parts of the city, according to local media.

The shooters reportedly opened fire at the first shisha bar in the centre of Hanau around 10pm. Eyewitnesses reported hearing eight to nine gun shots.

They then drove to the neighborhood of Kesselstadt and opened fire at the second shisha bar.

A large number of police have been deployed to the town and the crime scenes have been cordoned off.

Hanau has a population of about 100,000.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

DIASPORA NEWS

Italy expected to lose “half of a million” jobs due to the coronavirus crisis

Published

on

By

The Covid-19 crisis in Italy will lead to the loss of 500,000 jobs in 2020, government employment policy agency Anpal said on Tuesday.

With the Italian economy hit hard by the coronavirus shutdown, and Italy’s GDP set to drop by eight percent in 2020, the next few years look bleak for a country which was already struggling with high levels of unemployment and poverty.

Anpal, the Italian government’s National Agency for Active Labor Policies, estimates that half a million jobs will be lost in the country this year.

“We can expect a loss of 500,000 jobs in 2020 and a partial recovery in 2021, with a negative balance of 250,000 jobs,” Anpal’s President, Mimmo Parisi, told the Italian Senate’s Labour Commission on Thursday,

He said Anpal’s “optimistic forecast” predicted a slow recovery, with a “return to pre-crisis levels only in 2023.”

Before the coronavirus crisis, Italy was still feeling the impact of the 2008 financial crash. The national unemployment rate had been hovering at around nine percent.

Another one million people will have to turn to food banks and charities for help as a result of losing their jobs to the shutdown, Agricultural group Coldiretti has estimated.

When Italy’s nationwide lockdown began in early March, some 11.5 million people – around half of the official Italian workforce – lost work or had their incomes slashed, and had to apply for government aid.

Italy’s large unofficial workforce was also hit hard. National statistics bureau ISTAT estimates that some 3.5 million people had been working in the country’s “shadow” economy, meaning they were unable to apply for any official help, and were left with nothing until further state aid for undeclared workers was announced in mid-May.

With criminal organisations reportedly maximising the gap to fill gaps left by the state, there are fears that Italy’s mafia are poised to further exploit the desperation caused by the crisis.

Source: Local Italy

Continue Reading

DIASPORA NEWS

Illegal migrant in Greece arrested for sexually assaulting 6-year-old girl

Published

on

By

An illegal Afghan migrant has been arrested in Thessaloniki for sexually assaulting a 6-year-old girl.

According to the girl’s mother, the Afghan, 19, was staying in the apartment where the girl lives with her family, in Ampelokipi. The assault took place there, according to a report by Greek news portal The Toc. The mother then filed a complaint with the juvenile protection sub-directorate in Thessaloniki.

In their subsequent investigation, the police also determined that the migrant was staying in Greece illegally. He is being charged with this as well.

Crimes committed by migrants have been on the rise in Greece in recent months. Greece is currently hosting tens of thousands of migrants in its reception centres, both on its islands in the Aegean and on the mainland, with more coming all the time. Most of the migrants have crossed illegally from Turkey. Two stabbings perpetrated by migrants took place on the island of Lesvos last week, resulting in one death, as previously reported by Voice of Europe.

According to Voice of Europe, migrants have also been attacking and desecrating churches in Greece, and also harassing the local population near their camps. While many Greeks initially welcomed the migrants when the crisis first began, their behavior is causing many of the locals to turn against them.

Continue Reading

DIASPORA NEWS

Adesina To Step Aside As AfDB President For Fresh Probe

Published

on

By

Dr. Akinwumi Adesina is expected to step back as the president of African Development Bank after the board supported an independent probe as requested by the U.S.

The U.S. treasury secretary, Steven Mnuchin rejected an internal investigation that cleared Adesina of allegations of favouritism.

Bloomberg, quoting two persons familiar with deliberations on the matter reported that Africa’s largest multilateral lender decided on the inquiry after several governments backed Mnuchin.

Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland are among countries that wrote to the AfDB to back Mnuchin’s demands for professional outsiders to look into the allegations, sources told Bloomberg.

Adesina has repeatedly denied wrongdoing, even before the internal probe, now rejected.

But as things are, he may have to step back as the bank’s helmsman until the probe is completed.

Unidentified whistleblowers accused Adesina, 60, of handing contracts to acquaintances and appointing relatives to strategic positions.

The proposed investigation comes three months before the bank’s annual meeting, at which Adesina is the sole candidate to extend his five-year term.

The AAA-rated lender’s 80 shareholders in October pledged to provide funding that will help to more than double its capital base to $208 billion.

Mnuchin last week wrote to the AfDB to express “deep reservations” about the integrity of the lender’s ethics committee, after it exonerated Adesina.

The scope and detail of the allegations are serious enough for a further inquiry to ensure the AfDB’s shareholders have confidence in the bank’s leadership, Mnuchin said in the May 22 letter addressed to Niale Kaba, the chairwoman of the bank’s board of governors.

The U.S. is the AfDB’s biggest shareholder after Nigeria.

The demands for an independent probe are aimed at ensuring that if the allegations are baseless, the process of reaching that conclusion is public and transparent, one of the people said.

Shareholders of the AfDB include 54 nations on the continent and 27 countries in the Americas, Europe, Middle East and Asia.

It has an AAA rating from Fitch Ratings, Moody’s Investors Service and S&P Global Ratings.

Prior to Mnuchin’s letter to the board, African leaders including South African President Cyril Ramaphosa and his Nigerian counterpart, Muhammadu Buhari, expressed support for Adesina and commended him for his efforts to help secure funds for Africa to deal with the fallout from the disease.

U.S. criticism of the bank’s internal processes follows comments by World Bank President David Malpass in February that multilateral lenders including the AfDB tend to provide loans too quickly, and, in the process, add to African nations’ debt problems.

The bank rebutted the statement, saying it undermines its governance systems, impugns its integrity and that there is no risk of “systemic debt distress” on the continent.

In March, the lender issued a $3 billion social bond to help African countries deal with the fallout from the coronavirus pandemic.

The bank also launched a $10 billion crisis-response facility for African nations.

Source: PM News

Continue Reading

Trending